My research interests involve understanding the mechanistic details underpinning synaptic and neuronal remodeling and how these pathways go awry in pathophysiological conditions. As a graduate student, my work provided mechanistic insights on mitochondrial protein transport. While at Rutgers University, as a postdoc, I expanded my research to neurosciences, to understand the importance of endocytic trafficking in neuronal health. During my second postdoc in the Nedivi lab, I will investigate the underlying mechanisms of synaptic plasticity during neuronal activation in the developing and adult brain. More precisely, I would like to examine whether Bipolar Disorder (BD) related genetic variations in candidate plasticity gene 2 (CPG 2) attenuate glutamatergic transmission. We hope that these studies will provide new mechanistic insights for development of novel therapeutics for treatment of BD and other neuropsychiatric disorders associated with altered glutamatergic synaptic transmission.
- Altered retromer trafficking contributes to lysosomal deficits in Alzheimer’s disease neurons. Tammineni P, Jeong YY, Feng T, Aikal D, Cai Q Human Mol. Genetics 2017 26 (22): 4352-4366.
- Releasing Syntaphilin Removes Stressed Mitochondria from Axons Independent of Mitophagy under Pathophysiological Conditions. Lin MY, Cheng XT, Tammineni P, Xie Y, Zhou B, Cai Q, Sheng ZH. Neuron. 2017 94 (3): 595-610.e6.
- Defective retrograde transport impairs autophagic clearance in Alzheimer’s disease. Tammineni P and Cai Q. Autophagy 2017 13 (5): 982-984.
- Regulation of Synaptic Abeta Generation through BACE1 Retrograde Transport in Alzheimer’s disease. Ye X, Feng T, Tammineni P, Chang Q, Jeong YY, Margolis D, Cai H, Kusnecov A, Cai Q. J Neuroscience. 2017 37(10):2639-2655.
- Impaired retrograde transport of axonal autophagosomes contributes to autophagic stress in Alzheimer’s disease neurons. Tammineni P, Ye X, Feng T, Aikal D, Cai Q. eLife 2017 pii: e21776 (DOI: 10.7554/eLife.21776).
- SNX-1 and RME-8 oppose the assembly of HGRS-1/ESCRT-0 degradative microdomains on endosomes. Norris A, Tammineni P, Wang S, Murr A, Gerdes J, Kwan KY, Cai Q, Grant BD. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A. 2017 114(3): E307-E316.
- Regulation of BACE1 trafficking and degradation through Autophagy pathway. Feng T, Tammineni P, Agrawal C, Jeong YY, Cai Q. J Biol Chem. 2017 292(5):1679-1690.
- The import of the transcription factor STAT3 into mitochondria depends on GRIM-19, a component of the electron transport chain. Tammineni P, Anugula C, Mohammed F, Anjaneyulu M, Larner AC, Sepuri J Biol Chem. 2013 288 (7): 4723–4732.